I need to talk to each of your today, so I will do a little lecturing, then we will work. I promise that we will do the following throughout today’s class:
- Go back over IA, make sure everybody has a good grasp to proceed.
- HTML & CSS
- Lecture: visual design! At last! See notes below.
- Sketch out rough draft with pencil/pen on paper.
Overall, I need to get through this material to help you get started with your sketches:
- Look at basic graphic design principles: Overview | CRAP
- Screen sizes, retina displays
- Look at Photoshop (not at all your only option, but a very popular one)
- Translating sketches into PS
Web Typography and iconography
- A Nice Worksheet
- Examples: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
- Using Icons | Examples: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Functionality and behaviors:
- How will the user move around?
- Begin translating your homepage sketch into the design program of your choice. Next week, we will really dig in and solve issues you may encounter this week. Keep your file organized for your own sanity. We will have a class-wide critique soon, so you need to really lay down some ideas. Do not go with your first sketch, be sure to play for a few hours, then settle in on a direction.
- If you have not already, work to wireframe out the screens for the rest of your transaction.